Friday 10 June 2011

June 10, 2011

Summer school ended! Freedom!  So, since I have more time, I will be writing a writeup (and comparison) of my recent mod: 35W 5000k HID for 9006 Bulb size (Low Beam), that was done today.

First, after careful deliberation and research, I had narrowed my decision down to 3 choices of HIDs.  HIDextra, DDM Tuning, and XenonDepot.  I was planning to go the DDM route as their kits originally cost only $30 excluding shipping.  However, they decided to jack the price up to $35, and well, I like to save money whereever possible.  So, with shipping, it comes up to a total of $75 CDN.  I don't really mind DDM as I had another kit with them before for my 2010 Toyota Matrix XR and I was partially satisfied with it.  I would give that kit a 7/10 as that kit required an extra relay harness possibly because of my automatic headlights.  The harness was not cheap.  I ended up spending $110 in total.
Given that, I decided to look for alternatives.  HIDextra seemed like a viable option as it was not that expensive.  However, I read many horror stories on forums regarding that product.  Even though they offered good warranty (i.e. pictures and destruction of your broken ballast/bulbs), the frequency of failure was incredibly high (almost 2 complain posts per day with the most ridiculous story of one having the bulb exploded).
Therefore, I resorted to the last option: XenonDepot's Volt HID Kit.  XenonDepot seemed to have great reviews from many of the forums such as 8thCivic.com.  They're active participants in the forums so customer inquiries were handled quickly.  I decided to give this a shot as my total ended up being about the price of my first DDM setup.  Three days after ordering, I got the kit from UPS.  I would include an opinion of UPS' computer tracking system but that is irrelevant and you guys must be bored from reading this story already.  Upon reception of the parcel, I was very satisfied as the box/packaging was an actual company name unlike DDM's China Kit.  There was acually a trademark name for Volt Digital.

(What the HID Kit Box should look like)

(The Kit)


So, here`s the actual DIY of the installation. There were many difficulties encountered with the first being the removal of the fender liner for the driver side. I had so much trouble removing the clip as it was so stubborn (and possibly because I was afraid to scratch the paint). The easiest way to remove it in my opinion is to get a flat (like flat, not raised) screwdriver and insert it into the groove and twist the screwdriver to ``pop`` it out.  After that, just stick your finger into a hole that`s several inches below the clip and pull the lining out, working from top to bottom.  DO IT WHEN IT`S WARM or risk cracking the plastic.

 (Clip removed and wheel-liner partially removed)

(Inside the wheel-liner with HID bulb installed)

 You now have access to the bulb on the driver`s side.  The passenger side is the same, but I went another route as illustrated later.  You will notice a white clip that`s attached to the halogen bulb.  Depress the tab and pull down and remove the clip.  Twist the bulb counter-clockwise and pull the bulb out and store it safely.  Now, is the hard part #2.  I am fortunate to have long skinny bony fingers and arms (laugh all you want) but it is proven to be very useful.  Assuming you have your HID bulb ready to go (i.e. cable tie removed, plastic case removed), put the bulb into the hole.  It is hard as there`s not enough space especially if you`re muscular.  Nonetheless, it`s possible as I did it.  I might have touched the bulb against something metal but try not to, at least NOT WITH YOUR HANDS as that shortens the life of the bulb.  Once you get it into the socket, turn it clockwise to lock it.  The grey return wire should be in the 6 o clock position.  RUMOURS saying that it should be at 12`oclock to remove glare is false.  I will illustrate that later.  Hook up the white clip to the bulb`s female connector (the big rectangular one).  This is really time consuming as I did it blindly but it is possible.  Patience my friend and common sense.  You can hook up the ballast`s wire later, or now if you wish.

Now onto the other side.  Like I said, you could go through the wheel-well.  However, I was turned off by the difficulty of removing the clip so I went the `Windshield Fluid Way`.  First, locate the windshield water spout/cap.  Get the same flat head screwdriver and remove the clip by popping it out.  Once done, twist the spout out of the groove and pull it out and store it somewhere safe and clean.  You`ll now have full access to the bulb... in a way.

(Full Access to Bulb, Bulb installed)

(Windshield Fluid and Clip)


Once you have full access, it`s essentially the same procedure as the driver`s side.  The third hard part is to install/secure the bulb.  The stupid ABS is in the way so twisting the bulb is VERY difficult.  I can only get it partially.  However, I was a genious by using a flathead and inserting it into the slots in the bulb housing and pushing it down so that the bulb can turn.  It`s ghetto but it works.  Make sure for both your bulbs that the pins are FULLY in place and are not partially inserted or you`ll be glaring everyone and your bulb may even fall out.  Again, the return wire should be in the 6`oclock position.

Once done, hook up the large rectangular connector to the white harness.  Next, you can finally hook up the ballasts, one for each side.  This is the easiest part unless you have bad perception.  Once that`s finished, mount the ballasts and tuck away all wire.  These ballasts are REALLY SLIM and the wiring is long enough such that you can mount the ballast by the corners of the windshield for the FA1 model.  Any bigger ballasts cannot be mounted there from what I`ve read.  Nonetheless, you don`t even need doublesided tape as it doesn`t move anywhere.  The kit provides zipties and tape but I used my own tape and ties to hold the wires and ballasts in place.  Test to make sure the kit works (before mounting) and it should run fine WITHOUT a harness.  The cutoff for now seems good.  I haven`t tested it in the dark yet.  Stay tuned to the gallery for night pics and updates on anything new regarding this kit :)  I will give this product a 10/10 as it seemed to work on the first try and the color of the bulb looks good.  XenonDepot.com is definitely worthy to buy again.  The installation is about 3/5, 3 being moderately difficult due to Honda`s bad designs.  Click here for a Youtube link that I just taped of the "Glare" and the output results (it's on my Samsung Corby Pro phone).

(Passenger Side Ballast)

(The Wiring - Blue and White)

(Driver Side Ballast)

(My Poor Hand.. They provide gloves but it makes the job harder)

(My own 3M Exterior Doublesided Tape)

(All that RustProof Grease... Time for a wash)
(Night shot of the Glare)

(You can see the rough cutoff in the daylight - Sorry for blur)


(Better view!)

4 comments:

  1. great man great ideas i like it for my car and love it like a fan so your work is appreciate able and in the last i would like to thank you dear for sharing it with us so nicely civic hid kits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work and informative tips of shopping HID.Thanks for sharing ,,,One HID Kit contains a pair of Ultra Slim Digital Ballasts Controlled and some xenon bulbs. Xenon is a prominent element of car enthusiasts and racers for the additional brilliance gives light. The first water-tight gear that will last longer than other kits guaranteed to be done. Hid kit review brags before the availability of High Intensive Discharge in many colors and sizes bulb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Witman ! I recently purchased my 2010 Civic, and I would love to know what tips you have for the new and inexperienced modder. I have seen much of your mods in the various blog posts. I was just wondering what you would recommend because I have a new found passion for modding, i guess you could say, the mod bug. Have you experienced using other HID kits, and how would they compare ? Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Betty! Thanks for reading and I'm glad that I'm somewhat inspiring you to mod :). If you're talking about mods in general, I recommend definitely changing your stock halogen bulb to HID because it helps you see better at night. If you have more money, you can opt to get retrofits (projectors which actually reduces glare for oncoming traffic and helps you see even farther as the lights are not scattered. For HID kits, I prefer this one from Xenondepot of the ones I tried. DDM is too sketchy and I already had one misfiring ballast. Plus they have great service. As for other mods, LED plate lights and interior lights are often good as they're bright and give a nice color. You could do interior lighting like I did. A nice front lip would be good as well but that's on the pricier end. Check out 8thcivic.com to find out what others did too!

      Delete

Feel free to comment and give feedback!