Sunday 5 December 2010

Day 2:

Since it was December and here in Ontario, snow can be a problem, snow tires are needed.  Hence, I've gotten Gislaved NordFrost 5 shoes! They were pretty affordable too, $680 for a set with 15" steelies at a store in Markham. 

So far, these tires are not bad despite a ridiculous sounding company name.  The handling is acceptable, except for the fact that in bumps and potholes, the car can be a little shaky.  I think that's just because I'm running 195/65/15 rather than the 205/55/16.  The tire noise is minimum, with the exception of going on concrete (i.e. Hwy 407).  The tractions also quite superior as I've managed to get around with no traction control system. 

(Gislaved NordFrost 5)

As for anyone that's interested, I have my stock tires and rims up for grabs.  They'll definitely make a base model look like a Sport version :).  I'm hoping to sell them to buy new rims.  As of today, they are in perfect condition with 70km on them.

2 comments:

  1. Would you recommend the 15" or the 16" rims ? I used the stock 16" with summer tires as I got my Civic mid December. Any recommendations ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE Gavin: I recommend 15's because its cheaper. Generally the bigger the tire, the more expensive it is. Depending on how deep your snow level is, I think the rule was the bigger the wheel, the better you'll manage deep level snow. I somehow like my 15's better than 16's as it seem to handle better on onramps.. (less body roll during cornering for some reason). Oh, 16s also weigh more so if fuel economy is your concern, you may want to go with something smaller. Don't ruin your stocks in winter because of salt! Get steelies :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and give feedback!